Sunday, April 1, 2012

EDL 500 - Week #1

I am excited to be in this Teacher Leadership class to understand what it takes to be an effective leader in the school setting.  I hope to learn the various characteristics that have been identified in teacher leaders nation wide and also what characteristics would make someone a poort teacher leader. 

I want to learn how these teacher leaders learned and polished these characteristics so that I may also obtain these skills and characteristics.  I want to learn what motivates them and how  who they choose to surround themselves with. Are there any specific things they do to prepare themselves to make a difference?  What kind of goals do they set and visions do they cast?  I would like to know what roadblocks these teacher leaders have come up against and how they cleared these hurles.  I want to know how they stay ahead of the game and on the cutting edge to best meet the needs of their students.

After researching all of that information, I believe I can have a solid idea of how to go about growing the same skills and characteristics in my own profressional career. I want to identify the characteristics, work at obtaining them, practice, and then evaluate my progress.  I have a strong desire to grow in my leadership skills and I believe this class will certainly give me some ideas on how to do that.

Ryan D

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ryan,

    Very uplifting blog you have there. I would sugest that the major roadblock any good, effective teacher leader comes up against is a resistance of authority to truths. I would love to know how to over come that one, too. When you find out, let me know. I've battled the establishment all my life and it sure gets difficult and frustrating that right and wrong is so esy to see. Not a perspective. Perception is not necessarily reality unless you're an administrator with little to no leadership skills. Very dangerous combination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure this class will do just that. I hope to learn some "ideas" myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ryan,

    I enjoyed reading your post, especially your reflective questions about the skills of teacher leaders. It made me think about how important it is to observe teacher leaders in action. There is so much we can learn through observation, and our classes will teach us the "whys" and "hows" of how it all works together. Great post -you gave me a lot to think about.

    ~Tricia

    ReplyDelete