Monday, April 9, 2012

Week 2: Strengths Based Leadership

I took my strengths based test and found I am strong in five areas.  They are Competition, Deliberative, Activator, Relator, and Command.  I have learned a lot about my leadership strengths through this exercise. 

I am strong in Competition.  I thrive in situations where I can measure my progress against the progress of others.  I want to know the score and my goal is to win.  This is so true!  I was a very competitive athlete and even played college basketball.  I want to win whether I am playing a sport or playing a game of checkers. 

I am Deliberative.  I put a lot of thought and care into the decisions that I make.  I am known as being dependable and anticipate obstacles before they happen. 

I am an Activator.  I make things happen and turn thoughts into action.  I have been known to step forward and to take charge.  I bring a lot of enthusiasm and energy and have the ability to motivate others to join me.  This is so true!  I am a doer.  If I think something is a good idea, I will will typically make it happen. 

I am a Relator.  I do enjoy the relationships I form with others.  I have been known as a good counselor and others do seek out my advise.  I am also very open when others ask me to share my perspective.  Again, this was spot on.  I do enjoy the relationships that I form and enjoy helping others.

I am in Command.  I have a presence and have been in many roles where I naturally take control.  Some examples would be as a basketball coach and as a youth pastor. 

I believe it is very important to know your strengths and to encourage those you lead to know their strengths as well.  Being aware is critical to being successful.  When a staff or team is aware of their strengths, they can support a community of teacher leaders that are making a difference!

Ryan

1 comment:

  1. Being aware of your own strength is important I agree. But what about learning the strengths of those you work with? How can you use others strengths to... not benefit you but help you to achieve your goals? How can you discover those strengths of others? I know we talked about it the posts but I still want to learn more about this, What are your ideas?

    ReplyDelete